Writing forms an integral part of everything we do at Moulton Primary School. It is essential learning that, like reading, underpins virtually every aspect of our curriculum. As a As a result, the development of writing skills forms a key element of our children’s learning journey.
This learning journey will encompass the careful development of our children’s achievement and attainment in:
- listening and speaking (if you can’t talk, you will never be a successful reader or writer)
- handwriting (we aim for all children to be writing in cursive script by the time they leave our Year 4)
- phonic awareness and development
- the writing of simple sentences leading to ones that include such elements as subordinate clauses
- the recognition and successful use of all forms of punctuation from basic capital letters and full stops to brackets, colons and exclamation marks
- the writing of stories, recounts, newspaper articles, letters, instructions, plays and poems
- grammar recognition and application (nouns, pronouns, verbs and adverbs).