Welcome to Year 1
- 1a - Monkey Class - Mr Johnson and Mrs Barrick
- 1b - Tiger Class - Miss Roper, Mrs Hartsema and Mrs Hagger
- 1c - Elephant Class - Mrs Underwood and Mrs Guy
Being in Year 1 is great fun at Moulton. As we make the transition from the Early Years curriculum to the Y1 National Curriculum, we learn about history and geography, science and the arts through exciting topics which help us learn about our world. Our topics include: “Enchanted Woodland,” “Paws, Claws and Whiskers” “Superheroes,” “Moon Zoom,” “Bright Lights, Big City,” and “The Great Fire of Northampton.”
See the topic maps and Y1 Curriculum Overview on this page for more information about what the children will be learning this year.
Transition into Year 1
At the beginning of the year, our classrooms will be set up like a Reception classroom with the key areas of learning. Over the course of the autumn term, this will gradually make way for desk top activities and by the end of term we will be gradually introducing a more formal approach to teaching.
Reading in Year 1
Reading is a very important part of being in Y1 as this is the most important skill children learn during their early schooling. High quality phonics teaching is the main way we teach children how to read and spell words. At Moulton Primary, we follow the ‘Letters and Sounds’ phonics programme and more information about the teaching of phonics can be found on the curriculum/phonics page.
Children in Y1 are assigned a group reading day, which will be their “book change” day. On this day, they will bring home the following books which they will keep in their bag for a week:
- 1 guided reading book (pre-taught, introducing new sounds and words)
- 1 practice book
- 1 library “real” picture book
The practice books will be easier reading books with fewer words and are chosen carefully to enable children to recall previously learned sounds and “tricky” sight words. Children should feel confident reading these books and they should be encouraged to read as frequently as possible (pointing at the words and discussing the sound patterns).
Sharing stories and reading together is the most valuable way you can help your children make the best possible progress in their learning and the more practise the better!
Please use the reading records to record any reading you do at home and write a small comment. The reading records are checked and books changed weekly so that we can ensure the children continue to progress with their reading.
See the Y1 Recommended Reads for book ideas.
Spellings - the children will have a weekly spelling test each Friday.
Please check your child’s book bag daily and write any messages in the Home-school Book.
Water and Fruit
- As in Reception, all children receive a piece of fruit a day each day for a mid-morning snack.
- In Y1 we encourage the children to drink water as part of our Healthy School agenda and remind them regularly to drink throughout the day. If there are any issues with this, please speak to a class adult.
- If you would like your child to have milk, you will need to contact the Cool Milk Company as in the previous year; details can be found via the office.
- We have 2 PE lessons each week and the children’s kits will need to remain in school. Kits will be sent home at the end of each half term to be washed and returned to school. This will be an ideal time for you to check that the P.E kit and plimsolls fit correctly as we grow a lot in Year 1!
- When the children have P.E please make sure all earrings are removed in advance prior to the day and long hair is tied up.
- 1a - Tuesday and Thursday PE
- 1b - Thursday and Friday PE
- 1c - Monday and Thursday PE
Please help us by making sure all uniform and P.E kits have names clearly marked.