Welcome to Year 2
- Class 2a: Miss Inglis and Mrs Minor
- Class 2b: Miss Ludlow, Mrs McDaniels and Mrs Carr
- Class 2c: Mr Mcavoy and Mrs Bentley
Year 2 is the final year of Key Stage 1. The school day is from 8.45am to 3.15pm, but children in Y2 can arrive from 8.30am and wait on the main playground until school starts.
Being in Year 2 is great fun at Moulton. We study interesting topics covering all areas of the National Curriculum and which help us learn about our world. We also get to grips with our key skills in reading, writing and maths, ensuring that we finish the year ready for Key Stage 2.
Our Y2 topics are: “Wriggle and Crawl,” “Land Ahoy,” “Muck, Mess and Mixtures,” “Towers, Tunnels, and Turrets,” and “Walter Tull.” We also learn to dance the Waltz, put on a Christmas Play and many other exciting things!
See the topic maps and Y2 Curriculum Overview on this page for more information about what the children will be learning this year.
Reading practice is a really important part of Y2 as this is when the children will start to apply their phonic knowledge more confidently to real books and become independent readers. Reading lessons will still be taught daily in Y2 and throughout the wider curriculum as children now start to ‘read to learn.’
Reading at home every night is still really important as children need this regular practice to become fluent. Sharing books is also very important so children also develop a love of reading and will develop their vocabulary and language skills. The library is open before and after school for children and parents to choose books to share with children.
See the Y2 Recommended Reads list on this page for suitable books.
- A short homework task will be sent home on a Wednesday and will be due in on a Monday. Homework activities usually alternate between a Maths and English task that will help children to secure previously taught skills in class.
- Spellings are issued most Mondays and are tested on Fridays.
Other useful information
- A fruit snack is provided to all children in Year 2 each morning.
- Children should have a water bottle into school with them - please make sure this is labelled.
- PE is on a Tuesday and children can arrive in school with their PE kits. Earrings must be removed for PE lessons.