Welcome to Year 3
- Class 3A: Mr Brazier/Mrs Brazier and Mrs Stretton
- Class 3b: Miss Jeffrey and Miss Wilson
- Class 3c:Mrs Head and Mrs Swallow
- Children in Y3 are now in Key Stage 2 and follow the KS2 National Curriculum.
- In KS2, the school day starts at 8.45 am and finishes at 3.30pm.
- Children can, however, arrive from 8.30am and wait on the school playground until school starts.
- Lunch is from 12.10 – 1.00pm.
Being in Y3 is really exciting at Moulton. We study interesting topics covering all areas of the KS2 National Curriculum, which help us to understand the world in which we live. We also learn a musical instrument and carry on developing our skills in reading, writing and maths. Our Y3 topics are: “Gods and Mortals,” “Mighty Metals,” “Scrumdiddlyumptious,” Tribal Tales,” and “Predators.”
See the topic maps and Y3 Curriculum Overview on this page for more information about what the children will be learning this year.
Reading is still a very important part of learning in Y3 with the focus now on reading to learn across the curriculum. It is a misconception that as children become more fluent and decode words more confidently (around Year 3 and 4), they do not need to read to an adult. It is still really important that children practise regularly, sometimes reading aloud to an adult, sometimes discussing what has been read or answering questions. It is also important that engaging stories are read to them, as this helps develop a love of reading and motivates them to improve.
See the recommended Y3 Book List.
Music – in Y3, children learn a stringed instrument for a term (violin or cello). After this ten-week course, children can continue to learn their instrument in small groups for a small weekly fee. Instruments are loaned free of charge from the Northampton Music Service.
Homework in Y3
- By the end of Y3 the children are expected to know the 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 10 times tables.
- A homework task will be given out on a Wednesday and will be expected to be returned the following Monday.
In Y3 there are usually two PE sessions a week and children will need the following kit in a drawstring PE bag:
- Shorts and a T-shirt
- Tracksuit top/sweatshirt
- Jogging bottoms
- Socks for children that wear tights
It is essential that kit be in school all week as days may vary due to weather. If your child attends an extra-curricular club and they take their P.E. kit home please remember to return it promptly.
PE Days are:
- 3a: Monday and Thursday
- 3b: Tuesday and Thursday
- 3c: Tuesday and Thursday
Jewellery - no jewellery is allowed other than stud earrings and a watch. Earrings must be removed for PE lessons.
Bags - cloakroom space is limited in our area so please bring small ruck sacks and bags.